RE: access to temp addrs in DSTM

Pekka,

A bit of history.  DSTM was orginially called "Avoidance of Network Address Translation" (AATN) and a very specific solution.  We were asked to change the name to prevent negative connotation.  OK I did that.  We then combined forces with a Tunneling methodology from Laurent Toutain and company in the spring of 1999.  We had an AATN BOF in 98 and it was highly attended and spawned various activities like RSIP and a few others.  We then were asked to just build an architecture template and permit DSTM specific mechanisms as extensions to that main architecture.  There are extensions for Mobile IPv6, Use with SIIT, Port Ranges, and even 6to4 and all good engineering work.
So I feel I am very correct in arguing to the IETF DSTM is an architecture and method that folks do want in the IETF or there would not be so many adjunct extensions for DSTM.  In addition the NGTRANS Chairs supported this work and still do.  In addition there are three implementations currently of DSTM Francis spoke of ENST's, i2Soft, and the other is not annoucing yet but it is in Asia and for large Telecom doing Mobile IPv6.  i2Soft and the Asian Telecom are using DHCPv6 as a note.

So if anyone tells me that DSTM is not a needed and useful mechanism I simply cannot parse that at all.  Of if they try to second guess IPv6 deployment.

I think Tony Hain summed it up really well when he stated we need to complete the work on the Enterprise, UnManaged, and ISP ops design teams and see what we learn from those deployment works.

But to tell me and my authors and the NGTRANS working group after 3 years of hard work, support from the NGTRANS working group, trial deployment and some products in the market, that my colleagues who are very bright engineers are using DSTM to assist with things like SIIT, Mobile IPv6, and even the extensions to work with 6to4 that we have to go back to individual ID submissions is simply wrong and demonstrates that the IETF is being unfair, dicatorial without valid discussion in the community, and very well could justify the work to an appeal to the IAB and if necessary to the Internet Society.

This simply sounds like foul play and political efforts to kill DSTM and other mechanisms where motives are very unclear and they have not been able to kill it or prove it is wrong technically.  Thats what has me sketchy with the IETF OK.  Big time.

Lastly I don't agree with Francis at all and I believe the Port Range extensions draft for DSTM in fact is a very good piece of work and in fact will work and assist customers transitioning with DSTM.

regards,
/jim