Re: 6to4 relays [Re: WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)]

Brian and Keith,

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting the reinvention of any
wheels here (and I'm *certainly* not arguing in favor of sub-optimality).
I guess what I'm doing is speculating as to whether a truly general-purpose
transition mechanism is possible that would unite the functions of several
existing mechanisms. Ideally, this could entail near-100% code reuse and
would only require building simple links between existing modules so that
the correct functionality is activated under the proper circumstances.

By way of example, my laptop normally connects to my company's network
which accesses the global IPv4 Internet via firewalls, proxies, etc. as
for any corporate Intranet. If I were to enable a transition mechanism
on my laptop while at work, I would probably choose isatap - and hope that
the site has configured a 6to4/isatap router. But, suppose I wanted to take
my laptop home and connect it to the NAT hub behind my DSL modem. In that
case, I would clearly need to use teredo. Suppose I then wanted to take
the laptop to an academic campus with open Internet access; i.e., no
proxies, firewalls or NATs to traverse. In that case, host-based 6to4
would provide the optimal solution. (Example scenarios requiring other
useful mechanisms, e.g., DSTM, configured tunnels, etc., could also be
given.)

I would think it highly unlikely that the average user would understand
or even care about the subtleties of the various scenarios, which suggests
to me that the decision point needs to be automated. I think this might be
possible - especially if a unified addressing scheme were used that places
local IPv4 unicast routing information in the interface identifier portion
of the IPv6 address and global routing information (to possibly include
global IPv4 routing information) in the routing prefix.

Does the above give you a better idea of where I'm coming from?

Fred
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com