Re: ISP scenarios comments

Pekka,

>On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:25:58  0300 (EEST) Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
wrote.
> * multicast issues
>   - support is yet a bit .. raw or non-existant.

Are you talking standards or implementations?

>   - there is no MSDP, so there can be only one PIM domain currently

Dave Meyer (MSDP chair) and I have gone around and around on this
issue.  The last time we discussed it the consensus was that SSM was
going to be the dominant multicast environment.  If people really
needed inter-domain ASM support, BGMP would fill that role.  Now,
I am not so sure if BGMP is really worth considering or not given
its complexity.

>   - should we focus on SSM only

For the short term definitely.  The key is going to be getting
vendors to support MLDv2 and PIM-SM with SSM support ASAP.

The nice thing about the MSDP spec is that in order to make it
IPv6 capable, three new IPv6 TLVs and the rest of the machinery
should stay the same.

Regards,
Brian