Re: ISP scenarios comments (multicast)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, bkhabs wrote:

> Pekka,
>
> >On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:25:58  0300 (EEST) Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
> wrote.
> > * multicast issues
> >   - support is yet a bit .. raw or non-existant.
>
> Are you talking standards or implementations?

Both.

As for standards, there is the problem with MSDP.  Another partially
related one is related to site-local group scoping.  There needs to be
some feature like 'bsr-border' to site-local scopes to work properly
inside only one PIM domain, I think.

I had some intention to write a short draft on these open issues, but the
idea is still waiting at wg chairs'/AD's inbox (or /dev/null, possibly).

> >   - there is no MSDP, so there can be only one PIM domain currently
>
> Dave Meyer (MSDP chair) and I have gone around and around on this
> issue.  The last time we discussed it the consensus was that SSM was
> going to be the dominant multicast environment.  If people really
> needed inter-domain ASM support, BGMP would fill that role.  Now,
> I am not so sure if BGMP is really worth considering or not given
> its complexity.

I agree.  Main use of ASM is videoconferencing, and I believe this could
be done adequately by one SSM "hub".

I believe BGMP hasn't been implemented by anyone.

> >   - should we focus on SSM only
>
> For the short term definitely.

I believe most don't realize that's the only option at the moment.

> The key is going to be getting
> vendors to support MLDv2 and PIM-SM with SSM support ASAP.

Yes.

> The nice thing about the MSDP spec is that in order to make it
> IPv6 capable, three new IPv6 TLVs and the rest of the machinery
> should stay the same.

It's good to hear that.