Re: draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv4survey-02.txt

>>>		BGP - worldwide uniqueness needed
>>I just thought it was worth mentioning that BGP doesn't require
>>a worldwide, unique ID.  Indeed, it is my understanding that
>>even in actual operational deployment, rfc1918 addresses are
>>often used for BGP IDs.

>	does the above still hold for EBGP routers?

Yes. It is an ID rather than an address. You can not establish an
(E|I)BGP session between a pair of routers with the same ID. If you
use BGP route reflectors, the ID should be unique in the AS, as well.
If you use BGP route servers, the ID should be unique in the IX, as
well.

In a private peering, randomly choosen IDs from RFC1918 space rarely
cause a collision. It is better to have deterministic ways to define
the IDs in bigger IXes, however.

-- Akira Kato, WIDE Project