Re: unmanaged solutions comments

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Bill Owens wrote:
> At 18:35 +0300 9/19/02, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >==> There are two problems with relays:
> >  1) configuring the relay on 6to4 router; anycast address helps a bit there.
> >  2) v6 nodes finding the closest relay advertising 2002::/16.  This is not
> >addressed here, and I think is a major problem: there is zero guarantee
> >about how unoptimal the return path is (you can make some assumption about
> >the forward path, to the 6to4 relay close to you)!
>
> It strikes me that no tunneled infrastructure (automatic or manual
> setup) is likely to grow dense enough to provide really good
> performance, at least not without becoming unmanageable in its
> complexity. I have always regarded that as a fundamental tradeoff
> when using tunnels for anything, not just IPv6.

I'd perhaps reword that as "no global tunneled infrastructure".  And even
then I'd be a bit hesistant: tunneling across short distances is not that
big a deal, but adding different administrative parties can make it more
and more difficult.

Solutions like ISATAP can provide rather good performance in a limited
case;  connections outside of the "site" could be native v6.