RE: ocean: do not boil

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Tony Hain wrote:
[...]
> show that it simply not possible for everyone to take the easy road. The
> most obvious case at the moment is the substantial deployment of
> IPv4-only NAT CPE that for financial reasons *will not be upgraded*
[...]

In the case of xDSL, using bridged ATM encapsulation is enough, you don't
need to worry about IPv4-only properties of CPE.

[...]
> For those end sites that want to move sooner, and don't have a
> reasonable option for an alternate ISP, just saying we only support dual
> stack is telling them they can't use IPv6 capable apps & appliances for
> at least 5 years.

I don't think anyone has suggested that we don't try to find some
solutions which enable these users, too, to get IPv6 connectivity.

[...]
> Also, as a meta point, declaring an approach for transition out of scope
> before the scenario documents are done is just a bit short sighted.
> Indeed there are a few ISPs deploying native service today, and these
> will simplify the global transition. To extrapolate from there that dual
> stack is all we need is really doing a disservice to the entire effort
> to make the transition as smooth as possible for the end site. Just as
> there is no single network design that works for all sites, there is no
> single transition approach that will work universally. Before deciding
> what problem doesn't need to be solved, why don't we get working group
> consensus on the problems that the design teams are trying to describe
> to see what they believe (due to first-hand experience or customer
> feedback) are the real problems existing networks will face as they try
> to move.

It seems some design teams move faster than others: unmanaged networks
team IMO was already working on solutions.  At this point, until we know
the problem space better, I think it's best to assume "don't try to solve
every possible problem unless shown otherwise" -stance.