From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian@hursley.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 11:32 PM
To: Fred L. Templin
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com; v6ops@ops.ietf.org; lixia
Subject: (ngtrans) Re: Prior art on IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling

Fred,

I'm not quite sure what point you are making here or why. That work was
in fact the first implementation of 6over4 - the authors of RFC 2529 were
in contact with Lixia Zhang and Quang Nguyen. The first publication was
draft-carpenter-ipng-6over4-00.txt in November 1996, discussed at
the IPNGWG meeting in December 1996.

I agree that Quang Nguyen's paper was interesting and thought around the
topic. But his code was 6over4 and the prior art for that is from
November 1996. Both the authors of 6over4 have changed employers since
then, but to the best of my knowledge no IPR claims were made.

Of course the basic idea of tunnelling is older and trivial.

   Brian