Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:21:44 +0300 (EEST)
>  Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> Dear Pekka;
>
>    A quick question about Section 4 :
>
>   o "plen" MUST NOT be 0 (ie. not SSM)
>
>      o "plen" MUST NOT be greater than 96
>
>    The address of the RP can be obtained from a multicast address by
>    taking the following steps:
>
>       1. take the last 96 bits of the multicast address
>
>       2. zero the last 128-"plen" bits, and
>
>       3. replace the last 4 bits with the contents of "RPad".
>

> If "plen" is = 1 (say), which seems to be allowed, then how do
> I zero the last 127 bits of a 96 bit slice of a multicast address ?
>
> I am pretty sure this is not what you mean, but this is what I read it to say.

The first bullet makes it implicit that those 96 bits are placed at the
beginning of a 128-bit address struct (which is assumed to have been
initialized to zero).

But that should be clarified so there will be no misunderstandings,
thanks.