Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

Hi Lenny,

Leonard Giuliano wrote:

> Going back a bit, if this ASM mechanism will rely on SSM-like group
> discovery, why not just use SSM in the first place?

I totally agree.  However, other people don't and they want ASM in v6.
I made it a point to ensure that we had a nice SSM range for v6 (see
RFC 3306).

What I would like to see with this work is whether or not we can have
ASM without the burden of MSDP.

If I had my way, SSM would be the solution even if we did have to deal
with N^2 state.  I would prefer that kind of problem. :)

Brian