Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:12:48 -0700 (PDT)
 Greg Shepherd <shep@juniper.net> wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

[major snip]

The biggest use of multicast at present, by an order of magnitude or more,
is

the distribution of financial data. Has any of this migrated to SSM ? It
could,

maybe, but will it ?

The amount of money that rides on these multicast packets to me provides a
very

good indication that ASM will stick around.
Not only is it ASM, some financial data distributors are still using
DVMRP.  They like it and they know it.

Not a fair comparison. Financial networks are walled-gardens. In the core
distribution layer of the network, all S,Gs are well-known and in many
casses are ~gauranteed to be delivered too the edge layers by static
S,G-joins - VERY SSM-like.
And because the S's are known, they can use dynamic filters to switch
to backup sources when connectivity goes down.

Hi Greg;

I do not disagree - its just that I think that they will resist change.

The growth in many-to-many at the edge networks is beginning to highlight
the need for BiDir - over the next 2 years.

So, back to an interesting discussion point.  Do we need to worry about
ASM in v6?  Should we as the multicast standards community try and
move things toward SSM?

Brian