Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

At 10:08 PM 10/16/2002 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:

Smaller segments can be used if that's really a problem (100/FD should
probably handle some 20-30Mbit/s of multicast per port without anyone
noticing anything but I haven't tested).
If I have to re-engineer a network, resegmenting and renumbering, just to support multicast (IPv4, IPv6, SSM, or ASM), then I'd better have a darn good business case to go to all that expense and complexity.

Taking your suggestion to an extreme, I would have to provide a layer-3 routed port for every high-bandwidth multicast host. Should I have to go to the trouble of assigning IPv4 /31s or /30s, or IPv6 /126es for every multicast-speaking host? Sorry, it's just not going to happen.

IEEE 802 switches function just fine to send unicast frames only to the ports for which they're intended. Unicast IP uses ARP/ND to discover the MAC addresses that the IEEE 802 switches depend on to make this happen. What's wrong with asking IP multicast to use a similar mechanism?

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7 nickless@mcs.anl.gov