Re: Proposed 6to4 work

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 02:32:59PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that v6ops takes on the following items:
> >
> > Support for Multicast over 6to4 Networks (6TO4-MULTICAST)
> >  draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-multicast-01.txt
> >  (to be renamed draft-thaler-ngtrans-6to4-multicast-01.txt)
>
> I'm a bit skeptic whether this can be made to work, and the fact that some
> 200 lines of comments I sent on the list on 11 Jul 2002 went unresponded
> didn't exactly help my skepticism..

I think it is a concern if the home user is possibly going to be a big
target for 6to4 deployment (if cheap DSL+6to4 routers become available)
and one of the desired delivery methods for certain IPv6 services is
multicast.    But we should also look at Multicast functionality in other
transition tools too.

> > Security Considerations for 6to4
> >  draft-savola-ngtrans-6to4-security-01.txt
>
> The draft has focused on trying to spell out the filtering rules that
> could be done when implementing 6to4 .. but it takes no stance on "6to4
> relay trust" issues.  Those issues could be added if there's some thought
> how they can be solved (I can't think of any other than propagating more
> specific routes which doesn't seem to be an option).

I think all three drafts mentioned by Brian should be taken forward if 6to4
itself is on the v6ops menu.

Tim