Re: Layer 2 MAC-layer group management [Was: New draft on embeddingthe RP address in IPv6 multicast address]

Bill Nickless wrote:
At 02:48 PM 10/17/2002 -0400, Brian Haberman wrote:

Sounds to me like you just described a MAC-layer group management
protocol.  Since the IETF generally stays at Layer 3 (Sub-IP
excluded), it is out of our control.

Exactly right. So why are the IETF working groups like MAGMA trying to specify Layer 2 switch multicast behavior?
Slow down, Bill.  MAGMA is not specifying how L-2 devices behave.
The snooping draft is guidance to switch vendors who want to do
IGMP/MLD snooping.  It is meant as an Informational document.
Nothing more.

Perhaps you should petition the IEEE to develop this protocol or
write a draft on how a layer 3 devices should advertise their
interest in receiving packets on layer 2 addresses.

The IEEE 802.1p committee did develop a MAC-layer receiver interest protocol. See the work on GARP/GMRP. A good introduction to that work can be found in the second section of http://www.ieee802.org/1/mirror/8021/tobagi/garp-gmrp-timers.pdf .
I will take a look at it.  Have you (or Ken) pushed on your router
vendors to support this in conjunction with the switch vendors?

I did write a draft, which included a discussion of how layer 3 devices should advertise their interest in receiving packets on layer 2 addresses. See the first part of section 22 (page 10) of

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-iesg-gap-analysis-00.txt
Ah, another draft I have on my list to read, but haven't gotten
to yet.  I will take a look at this also.

Brian