Re: Layer 2 MAC-layer group management [Was: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address]

At 03:22 PM 10/17/2002 -0400, Brian Haberman wrote:
Slow down, Bill.  MAGMA is not specifying how L-2 devices behave.
The snooping draft is guidance to switch vendors who want to do
IGMP/MLD snooping.  It is meant as an Informational document.
Nothing more.
I stand corrected on my terminology. Let me try again.

So why are the IETF working groups like MAGMA trying to guide Layer 2 switch multicast behavior?

Have you (or Ken) pushed on your router vendors to support this in conjunction with the switch vendors?
I can say that there's some adoption by switch vendors:

Cisco Systems already supports GARP/GMRP. See, for example,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800eb758.html

D-Link Systems claims future support for GARP/GMRP.
http://www.dlink.com/products/switches/des6000/

As of 2000 (at least), Cabletron/Enterasys supported GARP/GMRP.
http://www.cabletron.com/support/relnotes/rn_2806-06.html

Also, other areas of the IETF are aware of GARP/GMRP. For example, RFC 2878 (Standards Track) refers to GMRP support for the PPP Bridging Control Protocol (BCP). http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2878.txt

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390