Re: New draft on embedding the RP address in IPv6 multicast address

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 02:48:52PM -0400, Brian Haberman wrote:
> Perhaps you should petition the IEEE to develop this protocol or
> write a draft on how a layer 3 devices should advertise their
> interest in receiving packets on layer 2 addresses.

Which is something direly needed in "tightly meshed" ethernet switch
environments - some sort of "layer 2 SPF" protocol telling each
bridge where what MAC address is connected, what the shortest path
to a given target is, and so on.

It's doable, but unless the market is willing to pay $$$$ for such
devices, I doubt any vendor will invest the necessary money.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  48282  (47686)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299