Re: API Discussion RE: v6ops Agenda for Atlanta

Hi Jim,

It is true that we did discuss the IPv4 mapped address issues in Sunnyvale. At that time,
Itojun presented one draft that concerned two different parts of the issue: what should and
shouldn't be sent on the wire, and what should and shouldn't be passed by the API,
particularly in a dual stack.

There was some agreement in the meeting that there are issues with using IPv4 mapped
addresses on the wire that need to be documented, although it was not clear what action we
should recommend to correct these issues -- updating the IPv6 addressing architecture,
modifying SIIT, etc.

The API portion was much more controversial, and there was a general consensus in the room
not to impose any API changes on existing implementations. Of course, the whole WG was not
necessarily represented at the meeting.

Based on the input they received in Sunnyvale, Craig and Itojun have split the document into
two parts -- the on-wire part and the API part, and they have updated both parts. This will
allow us to consider the two parts separately.

There was enough interest and discussion in Sunnyvale, at least regarding the on-wire issues
that it seemed worthwhile to discuss this again in Atlanta to see if this is something that the
v6ops WG should document.

Margaret