Re: isatap-07 draft offered as last-call

below...

Fred Templin wrote:

> --- Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Fred Templin wrote:
> > > As per Harald Alvestrand's message "On NGTRANS, transition mechanisms and consortia",
> > > I would like to offer the current isatap version as immediate last-call candidate for
> > > experimental track. The document can be found at:
> > >
> > >   http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/isatap-07.txt
> >
> > Please be specific what you mean.
> >
> > I took Harald's message as to signify "you can always submit a draft for
> > experimental as an individual submission".
>
> Specifically, Harald's message states:
>
> > There are several ways around this if you want things published:
> > - Publish through other mechanisms than the RFC process
> > - Publish as Experimental RFC
> > - Plead with the ADs to sponsor the mechanisms for standards track based on their obvious merits
> (identifying the mechanisms they obsolete)
>
> Thus, I am seeking to publish as an Experimental RFC and also pleading with the ADs to
> sponsor the mechanism for standards track based on obsoleting RFC 2529 (6over4).

That is egregious and irrelevant. I would object very strongly. 6over4 is
is self-contained and there is no reason to couple its future to that
of ISATAP. As a matter of fact, 6over4 has no affiliation with either
NGTRANS or V6OPS; it was an IPNGWG document and if any WG owns it
today, it would be IPV6.

2529 should sleep harmlessly as a Proposed Standard. Its day may come, and
it is harmless.

   Brian