Re: isatap-07 draft offered as last-call

Fred Templin wrote:

Hello,

As per Harald Alvestrand's message "On NGTRANS, transition mechanisms and consortia",
I would like to offer the current isatap version as immediate last-call candidate for
experimental track.
I strongly object to the publication of this document.

When a node enables an ISATAP link, it initializes the Potential
Router List (PRL) for that link. Unless other information is avail­
able (e.g., manual address configuration, a vendor-specific DHCP
option, etc.), the DNS SHOULD be consulted (e.g., by resolving the
name "isatap.domainname" where "domainname" MUST be relative to the
node's physical point of attachment.)

a) domainname is a information that is relative to the name space and gives no information
whatsoever about the physical location of the machine.
For example, at Sun, we use many domains like eng.sun.com, uk.sun.com, east.sun.com....
Some of them a somehow loosely linked to a particular geography (east.sun.com, uk.sun.com)
while some other are organisational domains (eng.sun.com) that may span across geography.

b) You are using something that does not belong to you.
The name isatap could very well have been already assigned in my DNS zone.

- Alain.