RE: IPv6 transition architecture discussion

Pekka,

I don't disagree on building scenarios, mechanisms, etc.  It is your
statements about implementations and how my product should work.  That
is where I disagree.  More below.

100% agree.  But not telling me what is or not enabled in my operating
system.

> v6ops charter is not limited to specifying standards, I believe.

I think if you mean also Info, BCP, et al I agree if it is telling us
what our products do its not in the IETF charter let alone the v6ops
charter.

> > > A starter for discussion: v6 connectivity is very poor (see
> > > draft-savola-v6ops-6bone-mess-01 for more).  Vendors are
> > > rightfully afraid (I sure don't want them doing it) to enable
> > > v6 by default, as connections could easily switch to using
> > > (badly working) v6.
> >
> > What vendor told you they are afraid?  If you cannot state
> who that is
> > then please retract this statement.
>
> They haven't done the enabling yet but support is there, so
> they're afraid.

With the chairs permission I can forward to this list a very good paper
that discusses this that is for public consumption.  If you were talking
about ISPs that is not who I was referencing.

.

> > > Do we need to do something about this or just wait N years to
> > > operators to do something.  Note: this is a chicken-and-egg
> > > problem, ISP's don't deploy v6 before it's requested (and
> > > paid for, in some way or another), and the connectivity
> > > remains poor because v6 isn't really production yet.
> >
> > ISPs are deploying IPv6 you simply don't know what your
> talking about.
>
> You've no idea.

When you said no one is deploying IPv6 was my response.  That is not
true.  I do not dispute your hands on knowledge and did not above in my
statements.

> I have 4 hats:
>
> 1) ISP; we run a dual-stack STM-16 backbone, and believe me,
> I think I
> know full well about problems of ISP's
> 2) Home user; I use IPv6 at home using 6to4 etc. and have set
> up many such
> networks for others
> 3) Enterprise; I've designed and implemented IPv6 in several managed
> enterprise networks, and I'm currently managing one
> 4) Vendor; I do volunteer work for a vendor and have pretty
> much a say in
> all IPv6-related issues
>
> With my ISP hat on, please don't try to be authorative of
> problems (or lack of thereof)  in ISP networks.

I never mentioned ISP network just that many of them do have IPv6 test
beds and pTLAs.  It is in process.

> > Right now it is in test bed mode and that will last awhile
> and it has
> > nothing to do with anything we can do in the IETF to help at this
> > point. The one thing we could do is stop wasting mail
> messages with mail like
> > this and get some decisions made about SLs, Scenarios, et
> al.   That is
> > the IETF's job not this diatribe you spew out here all to
> often, that
> > is totally irrelevant to the building of standards.
>
> I think it's our responsibility to react if we see problems with IPv6
> deployment.

Of course again I did not say that.  Just don't tell vendors what to do
that is all.

> > > A starter for discussion: v4-only <-> v6-only in a general
> > > case is complex.  IMO we perhaps shouldn't try to solve the
> > > general problem, as it draws the attention away from more
> > > important issues.  Is it ok to require v6-only nodes will
> > > only be deployed when they don't need connectivity to v4-only
> > > nodes (except by proxies -- e.g. TCP/UDP relay or ALG level
> > > thing is IMO just fine)?
> >
> > You cannot require anything Pekka.  You can only build a draft and
> > propose a standard.  The IETF cannot mandate anything at all to the
> > market or to those who have built and continuing to build IPv6
> > features in products.
>
> We have a very strong say in which standard we produce, and
> we don't need
> to produce more of those than we want to.

For our standards and operational statements yes.  I agree.  But above
you say the following "v6only and deployed with some type of statement
for compliance".  The IETF cannot mandate or should suggest what
customers do with their deployment.  We cannot possibly walk in
customers shoes.   That is the crux of my mail.

> > Why don't you work on
> > the scenarios as a working group member.
>
> I believe I've contributed to all of the scenarios, it seems
> some of them
> are ignoring my contributions though.

That's too bad.  All participants should get a response from the design
teams.  You should complain to the chairs privately.

Have not seen any for our enterprise draft from you and would like to.

Regards,
/jim