Re: getaddrinfo address ordering [Re: IPv6 transition architecture discussion]

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:22:04AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> These help quite a bit, but I guess adding some getaddrinfo hint like
> AI_PREFERV4 or AI_PREFERV6 could be added in the case that DNS lookup
> returns both addresses, you use AF_UNSPEC and you want to influence the
> default DNS record ordering.

In addition to that, provide a system configuration item that will
set the default preference in case the application doesn't specify
AI_PREFER*

Usually it's not something the application would care about, but more
the system administrator - "I want to have IPv6 but I do not trust it
enough to be the default" vs. "I know IPv6 is now working well enough".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  50279 (49875)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299