Re: getaddrinfo address ordering [Re: IPv6 transition architecturediscussion]

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 09:22:04AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > These help quite a bit, but I guess adding some getaddrinfo hint like
> > AI_PREFERV4 or AI_PREFERV6 could be added in the case that DNS lookup
> > returns both addresses, you use AF_UNSPEC and you want to influence the
> > default DNS record ordering.
>
> In addition to that, provide a system configuration item that will
> set the default preference in case the application doesn't specify
> AI_PREFER*

Yes, that could be the policy table (or my suggestion) actually
implementing the toggle in the resolver, often in /etc/resolv.conf.

> Usually it's not something the application would care about, but more
> the system administrator - "I want to have IPv6 but I do not trust it
> enough to be the default" vs. "I know IPv6 is now working well enough".

Totally agree -- some apps can be exceptions though.

I want to be able to start enabling v6 by default, to build the user base,
but I don't want it to cause _any_ ill effects to apps or the user yet.

Currently there is no way to do this, and I believe it's critical when we
really want to deploy v6 to the masses.