Re: IPv6 transition architecture discussion

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:25:02 -0800, Joshua Graessley wrote:

> We look to the IETF for a solution because we can't solve this problem
> alone. I get the impression from this working group that the working
> group is of the opinion that the transition mechanism will not work and
> we should just sit on our thumbs until the ISPs provide us IPv6
> connectivity.

I don't think you should sit on your thumbs. If you agree with the IETF
and believe IPv6 is the way to go, you should do your part. Otherwise,
everybody will wait for others. It would be good when OS and application
vendors shipped some nice IPv6 applications that would create end user
demand for IPv6.

> Is there any evidence to suggest that IPv6 will some day make the move
> from testbed to wide deployment?

Yes, IPv6 is already widely deployed in research networks like WIDE,
6NET and Abilene. Remember how the IPv4 internet started? There are
also many internet exchanges that support IPv6. The commercial ISPs
will follow. Many have already got an IPv6 prefix from their RIR.

	rvdp