Re: on NAT-PT

>Is there any paper documenting this 'operational practice'
>and why you consider it a 'bad thing' ?
>I would like to understand better why you claim that it is 'universally'
>a bad thing and not just 'a bad thing' within your local environment.

	unfortunately there's no documentation.
	this is universally bad because
	(1) it requires every node to configure the translation prefix manually
	(kills spirit of autoconfigured hosts), or to cook up DHCPv6 option for
	it (horrid idea),
	(2) NAT or NAT-PT has to be invisible to the client, instead of
	explicitly visible (otherwise, why bother rewriting protocol contents?),
	and
	(3) the idea where client is aware of things that happen in the middle
	is exactly the same as RSIP.

	our changelog shows that the feature (to specify translation prefix
	via environment variable, which in turn controls getaddrinfo(3)) was
	dropped in January 2000.

itojun

Sun Jan 23 13:24:00 JST 2000  itojun@iijlab.net
	* kame/libinet6/getaddrinfo.c: remove #ifdef FAITH (and use of
	  environment varaible GAI).  this has been broken for a long time
	  (means noone is using it), and this shouldn't be here.
	  if you would like to set FAITH'ed prefix, use totd or /etc/hosts.