Re: Opportunistic Tunneling

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> TSP does nat traversal and does not have the same security concerns as
> teredo.
>
> in the anonymous mode of TSP, TSP is as automatic/opportunistic as
> teredo/6to4/isatap. all of them requires the prior (static) knowledge of an
> IPv4 address. Most of them may have some ways to get the nearest/best
> service, based on some techniques.

I think there is something in the "opportunistic" vs "tunnel service"
distinction that I haven't been able to make clear.

TSP requires that ISPs set up tunnel servers and tunnel brokers.
6to4 and Teredo don't.  (Teredo server doesn't pass through traffic so
a couple may be enough.)  6to4 works automatically between other 6to4
nodes; TSP does not.  Teredo works automatically between Teredo nodes
after the server has been contacted to get the public IPv6 address.

This is the distinction I tried to make with "Opportunistic Tunneling"
vs "3GPP UE Tunneling, Unmanaged tunnel service".

The tunnel broker set-up, even in anonymous mode, could possibly be
pretty straightforward, but nowhere near the same as 6to4. (Which
works even with relays between 6to4 nodes.)