RE: Opportunistic Tunneling

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> > >Both 6to4 and Teredo can work, to an extent, when relay routers
don't
> > >exist.  TSP can't.
> >
> > 	how useful is the IPv6 internet if you can talk with 6to4 users
only?
> > 	i think the argument is bogus.
>
> Based on the deployments of Microsoft I guess some do view this as a
> sufficient first step.. because you can still use IPv4 to those native
> IPv6 users.

Or you push those native users who want connectivity to deploy their own
"local gateways". After all, any host or any site that has dual
connectivity can be "multi-homed" to 6to4 and native, and can run a
local Teredo relay.

But this "local relay" solution has an important drawback: if we deploy
millions a relays in millions of sites, then we will have a hard time
rolling back the transition technology when it is not needed any more.

In contrast, if IPv6 providers do provide relays, then hosts and sites
don't have to "run their own", and the "transition out of the
transition" will be easier.

-- Christian Huitema