Re: TSP (draft-blanchet-v6ops-tunnelbroker-tsp-00) comments

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> > Thanks for updating the spec -- it has been a long time :).
>
> (well, v6ops was not supposed to work on protocols... ;-)))

But individuals are welcome to :-)

> > The user is expected
> > to give an IP address, which (supposedly) is used to identify the user.
>
> no. IP address is used to create the tunnel on both end. User
> authentication is used to identify the user.

Ok -- I think the problem is that the document does not describe other
than which authentication mechanisms are used -- nothing at what
key/account material or procedures are used prior to the mechanical
authentication algorithm use.

> > 4) SASL doesn't work with UDP, so my guess is that the whole UDP
> > signalling must have been some kind of glitch in the spec.
>
> I will improve in next version. (it works, I'm using it every day...)

Hmm.. unless I looked at it wrong, the SASL spec disagrees with you
:-).

> > 3. Advantages of TSP
> >
> >    o  A signaling protocol to establish the tunnel: no need to change
> >       kernels, routing...
> >
> > ==> I do not understand what you mean by this advantage.  Perhaps you
> > should elaborate or reword.
>
> ok. what was meant is that it is "just" a signaling protocol: it is on the
> control plane. No modifications needed elsewhere.

UDP encapsulation, at least, is a (minor) modification.

> >    Automation of the prefix assignment and DNS delegation, done by TSP,
> >    is a very important feature for a provider in order to substantially
> >    decrease support costs.  The provider can use the same authentication
> >    database that is used to authenticate the IPv4 users.
> >
> > ==> there is not even a hint how TSP could use the same databases as with
> > v4 authentication :-)
>
> ok. answer was "radius"... Will add.

and which attributes, etc -- I think some details are needed so that
this could work interoperably.