Re: v6 deployment in general [Re: tunnel broker deployment [RE: Tunneling scenarios and mechanisms evaluation]]

--On Wednesday, March 17, 2004 16:25:59 +0200 Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> The problem is worse with transition mechanisms, especially the ones
> which traverse NATs, but the situation may improve as soon as we can
> get rid of them.  In any case, such mechanisms can provide a stable
> as long as they can keep the NAT/IP mappings stable -- which is, for a
> properly designed application, maybe sufficient.

I guess I don't understand what "such mechanisms" refer to above.
I don't know if mechanisms like Teredo can provide a stable IPv6 address
when the nat mappings change, but doing TB/UDP for nat traversal should
be able to provide stable IP addresses/prefixes in this case.

The point is to keep the NAT (etc.) mappings open as long as possible so that they don't change -- and if they change, that'd be due to ISP trying to enforce the user to a specific policy (e.g., changing v4 addesses on the fly) -- and I'm not sure if it's worth trying to outsmart ISPs. Stupidity always wins, with the customer in even a bigger mess in the end.. :-/

No one is trying to "outsmart" ISPs. To add to Erik comment: whether it's the nat mapping or whatever event occurs that changes your IPv4 address/port, the point is that TB + nat traversal can guarantee that the user will have a stable IPv6 address/prefix. The user IPv6 address is tied with the user identification, not to its (temporary) IPv4 address (and port number). This feature (stable IPv6 address/prefix) is an important benefit to the end-users, IMHO.

Florent