RE: ISATAP vs alternatives in 3GPP [Re: comments on draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-analysis-09.txt]

A comment on a couple of issues here.

 > OK, let's have a few.
 >
 > ISATAP uses a pseudo-interface (this is especially problematic if the
 > implementation also has a 6to4 pseudo-interface, and one big reason
 > why ISATAP should be avoided).  ISATAP accepts proto-41 packets from
 > anyone.  ISATAP does direct tunneling between the nodes (even if they
 > aren't in the same admin domain, if deployed as you propose).  ISATAP
 > relies that the site has made appropriate protections at its
 > perimeter, or else its security properties fall apart.  ISATAP was
 > devised to be used inside a site, not across the sites.

=> One answer to all of the above: The whole point of recommending
a solution in specific scenarios is to assess the feasability
of the solution to that particular deployment. None of the above
is relevant for 3GPP:
  - On this point to point link ingress filtering in the GGSN
    stops address spoofing.
  - It's always used in the same admin domain, logically, i.e.
    as far as the IP layer can see.
  - 6-to-4 is not recommended and should not be used by end
    hosts. We discussed this several times and even Brian C
    recommended against this a couple of years ago.

Given the above conditions, there is no security problems
that we can see.

 > > So to start with IMO the above paragraph
 > > should mention the existence of these implementations and their
 > > interoperability since it is important for mobile
 > operators/vendors to
 > > know that there is something they can use. Now it
 > basically says the
 > > opposite i.e. no interoperability and wait for further work.
 >
 > I do not think that is appropriate at all.  If the WG has not made up
 > its mind, WG document should not be pushing toward a solution which
 > has known problems.  Better not nudge towards any particular
 > direction.

=> In other words make the doc vague and practically useles.
This is the effect of not recommending anything.
Regarding the WG opinion, I haven't seen anyone apart from
you objecting to this. If I missed emails please point me
to one. I asked several times to get WG concensus on this
with no luck. What's the next step in the process ? How
do I elevate this to see what the WG thinks ?

This process is taking way too long and is starting to
look fruitless. In other words, I share all the concerns
that Tony raised and I'd like the WG to address them.

Hesham