Re: Multiple tunneling protocols on the same Ipv4 address )Re: ISATAP, v6inv4 and 6to4 tunnel interworkings [RE: ISATAP vs alter natives in 3GPP [Re: comments on draft-ietf-v6 ops-3gpp-analysis-09.txt] ]

Alain,

Appreciate the thoughts. As to your assertion of not seeing a compelling,
practical case I tend to disagree with that as a sufficiently strong arguement
towards disallowing multiple tunneling protocols anchored to the same
IPv4 address. So, my leaning is toward your suggestion of a prioritized
set of rules, or something similar.

Thanks - Fred
ftemplin@iprg.noka.com

Alain Durand wrote:

The issue raised here is not limited to 6to4 & isatap but in fact it arises anytime
you will have two or more tunneling protocols over IPvx anchored
on the same IPvx address.
For example, we saw that issue while implementing 6to4 and IPv4 compatible addresses.
Our implementation choice at the time was to say we do not support both at the same time
on the IPv4 address.

So if you want do set rules, they will have to include
configured tunnel v6 over v4 (and its many tunnel broker variants),
6to4
6over4
isatap
IPv4 compatible

Given the fact that all those protocols have been standardized/implemented
to (at least) some extend, the only two alternatives IMHO are:
- either declare them all mutually exclusive
- create that ordered list.

Note that it may be more or less difficult for some implementation to actually
see both inner and outer address of the packet at the same time.
This gets, of course, even trickier if multiple levels of tunneling are in place,
e.g. v6 in v6 in v4 in v6 in v4 ....

I have not really seen a compelling, practical, case where having two or more
of those protocols anchored to the same IPv4 address was necessary, so I would be
tempted to favor the 'mutually exclusive' approach.

- Alain.