Re: comments on draft-durand-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirement s-00 .txt

Alain Durand wrote:

On Apr 15, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Fred Templin wrote:

This would not be the same thing as an "IPv6 NAT", which
I hope we will never see.

Note that I'm not advocating for IPv6 NAT here.

I wasn't intending to imply that, but I'm glad to hear you say it.

I'm saying that
IPv4 NAT is almost everywhere and during the transition to
IPv6, in the phase where the ISPs do not yet support full
native IPv6 in the access network, we must take into account
that IPv4 NAT may be in the way.

Speaking generally w/o looking at specific scenarios (e.g., 3GPP/2),
I would have to agree. All I'm saying is that explicit NAT traversal
mechanisms should be used only as a last-resort, and unencumbered
IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling (or, better yet, native IPv6) should be used
instead whenever possible.

Fred
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com