Re: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-v6ops-tunneling-01.txt

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 03:48, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> Hi Pekka,
>
> May be I miss in the list something about:
>    Notes: 6to4 does not work behind a NAT, so it is not applicable in
>    3GPP scenarios, and practically also not applicable in Enterprise
>    scenarios

6to4 does work behind a NAT, though depending on the setup:

Situation #1:

[Internet] --- [gw + NAT + 6to4 relay]

    [2002:aabb:ccdd::/48 RA'd to internal NATted network]

Thus the NAT box does the 6to4 relay, does require the NAT box to do
6to4. Same setup can be done with a tunnel on the NAT box of course.

Situation #2:

[Internet] -- [gw + NAT]

    [2002:<rfc1918>::/48 on internal NATted network]
    [thus multiple boxes acting as relays as they all]
    [have their own IP address]

The problem with this situation though is that one will not get global
connectivity but the 6to4 stuff will work between the hosts behind the
NAT. Notez bien that afaik XP etc won't allow rfc1918 usage in 6to4
prefixes...

----
5.  Conclusions
<SNIP>
   There seems to be clear need for a tunnel server protocol which is
   able to traverse NATs and work with dynamic IPv4 addresses.  This
   tunnel server should be able to automatically discover the server
   address if the service is provided by the ISP.
-----

The next step ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen