Re: Scenarios analysis documents: BCP vs Informational?

I think c) is the best choice...

- Ralph

At 04:17 PM 4/27/2004 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
Hi,

(co-chair hat on)

During the IESG review of the 3GPP analysis document there was a
comment wondering its intended BCP category:

=====
>    The scope of this Best Current Practices document is to analyze and
>    solve the possible transition scenarios in the 3GPP defined GPRS
>    network

Scenarios aren't things you *solve*; they are things you *describe*. I
would see no objection to this as an Informational, but I think it
(and its future companion documents from v6ops) are hardly BCPs. There
is surely no current practice on which to base the assertion that this
draft describes the Best.
=====

The initial plan (which never had much justification) had been to
publish the Scenarios documents as Informational, and analysis
documents (describing the best understanding of the recommended
deployment approaches) as BCP(s).

As far as I can understand, the reason why BCP seems inappropriate is
because the documents might not be for example:
 1) not clearly describing _current_ practice (i.e., when there has
    not yet been sufficient deployment, but only analysis), or

 2) not clearly describing _best_ practice (i.e., if the document is
    not sufficiently detailed to pick among the alternatives, etc.)

On the other hand, BCP would seem appropriate if the description is
detailed enough, and/or current enough so that we can justify that it
is actually already both a _current_ and _best_ practice.  In a way,
BCP also sends a stronger message to the community on the
recommendations (whether that is relevant or necessary is another
question).

Now, as there can be arguments for both ways, it would be useful to
see if there are preferences about this in the WG:

a) continue with BCP category,

 b) publish 3GPP analysis as Informational and consider the rest in
    case-by-case basis (whether Info or BCP).  Some other analysis
    documents may or may not fall better under the BCP category, or

 c) publish 3GPP analysis as Informational; take the rest to
    informational as well.

Opinions? a), b), or c)?

(co-chair hat off)