Marc's objections to Teredo (was RE: POLL: Consensus for moving forward with Teredo?)

I obviously disagree with several of Marc's objections to Teredo:

> - there are other ways on the table to do nat-traversal.

Sure. If another solution has clear benefits, it should be standardized
as well. That is not a reason for not progressing Teredo.

> - teredo introduces many security issues, such as very open relays
that
> are subject to be used for large scale DDOS

Uh? Teredo does not actually introduce any "open relay". Each session
that goes through the relay has to perform an initial 3-ways handshake,
which makes it very hard to use in a large scale DDOS.

> - teredo is complex to implement

Complex to implement is an emotional statement. The assessment of
complexity in the IETF is "running code", not emotions. There already
are two independent and interoperable implementations. This meets the
standard for going to DS.

> - teredo introduces states and buffering in relays when the first
packets
> are sent, which have important issues in implementing.

"Important issues"? There are exactly the same issues with ARP, or IPv6
ND.

> - teredo does not work for symmetric NATs and the "fallback" for a
user in
> this situation is "no service".

Uh, no. There are three fallbacks. One is to simply go buy another NAT
-- most of the modern NAT do work with Teredo, as analyzed in
draft-jennings-midcom-stun-results-00.txt. The other is to go program
the Teredo port number in the NAT, using the management interface --
which is probably OK for the dedicated users. And the third is to obtain
service by another way.

-- Christian Huitema