From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>
To: "Alain Durand" <Alain.Durand@Sun.COM>; "Pekka Savola" <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 3:26 AM
Subject: RE: REVIEW NEEDED: draft-durand-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-00.txt

> How widely is IP proto 41 forwarding deployed? If it is not much,
> I suppose that forcing an extra layer of encapsulation would
> not be that terrible... and also would allow for more than one
> tunnel to go through the NAT box.
> So, I do not think that detecting NAT proto 41 forwarding is
> an important requirement.

You have to be concerned with the case when there are two hosts doing
this behind the same NAT. At most one of them will get proto 41
connectivity. If one got it and a second tries, the first one will loose
it. The support issues are going to be interesting.

-- Christian Huitema

Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com