Re: v6-in-v4 configured tunneling over v4 multicast (vs 6over4)

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0700, Erik Nordmark wrote:

> Since this is an operational WG, have we received requests from folks operating
> IPv6 that they are running into this particular problem?

We operate IPv4 and IPv6 multicast.   If we want bridging between the two
protocols we use Stig's gateway (which sadly wasn't adopted by the mboned
WG, despite evidence of its utility).

For SSM, we are only using IPv6.

> Easy to specify in a short RFC, but do we know anything about the
> operational complexity (trouble-shooting etc) of the resulting
> network? For all I know it might be a lot more complex than
> just operating dual-stack (with multicast support for both v4 and v6).

At present we do not operate an RP for either protocol, and our routing
off site is different per protocol (IPv4 via our campus and regional
network, IPv6 via a direct tunnel to the UK 6NET multicast router).   One
might expect these to merge in time I agree.

Tim