Re: v6-in-v4 configured tunneling over v4 multicast (vs 6over4)

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:57:21PM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0700, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> >
> > Since this is an operational WG, have we received requests from folks operating
> > IPv6 that they are running into this particular problem?
>
> We operate IPv4 and IPv6 multicast.   If we want bridging between the two
> protocols we use Stig's gateway (which sadly wasn't adopted by the mboned
> WG, despite evidence of its utility).

Thanks for the plug Tim. I wrote a draft on a gateway translating
between IPv4 and IPv6 multicast. It's expired now, but you can find it
at
http://www.uninett.no/testnett/multicast/mcgw/draft-venaas-mboned-v4v6mcastgw-00.txt

This solution was implemented 18 months ago, and has been in daily use
by several people since then.

Is there any interest in working in this area in v6ops? I know several
people that are interested in the solution and would like to see it
properly documented. There was some related work in ngtrans, see the
expired draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-03.txt. IMHO my solution is better.
Are there more appropriate places to take it?

Stig