Re: v6-in-v4 configured tunneling over v4 multicast (vs 6over4)

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 18:11, Stig Venaas wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 04:57:21PM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> > On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:47:46AM -0700, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> > >
> > > Since this is an operational WG, have we received requests from folks operating
> > > IPv6 that they are running into this particular problem?
> >
> > We operate IPv4 and IPv6 multicast.   If we want bridging between the two
> > protocols we use Stig's gateway (which sadly wasn't adopted by the mboned
> > WG, despite evidence of its utility).
>
> Thanks for the plug Tim. I wrote a draft on a gateway translating
> between IPv4 and IPv6 multicast. It's expired now, but you can find it
> at
> http://www.uninett.no/testnett/multicast/mcgw/draft-venaas-mboned-v4v6mcastgw-00.txt
>
> This solution was implemented 18 months ago, and has been in daily use
> by several people since then.
>
> Is there any interest in working in this area in v6ops? I know several
> people that are interested in the solution and would like to see it
> properly documented. There was some related work in ngtrans, see the
> expired draft-ietf-ngtrans-mtp-03.txt. IMHO my solution is better.
> Are there more appropriate places to take it?

I also support seeing this work, just like Teredo, DSTM and the others,
to be properly documented and archived. There are many users of these
mechanisms and they are very useful. Google should not be the way to
search for them...

Greets,
 Jeroen