Re: Request to Advance "Evaluation of IPv6 Transition Mechanisms for Unmanaged Networks"

Hi Pekka,

Pekka Savola wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Fred Templin wrote:

Not sure what the procedure is here, but I just noticed that this document
fails to mention [ISATAP] as an applicable automatic tunnel mechanism
(without NAT traversal) for unmanaged networks.

[ISATAP] is needed for host-to-host and host-to-router interactions
within unmanaged networks - especially accross bridges, ND proxies,
multi-link subnets, etc.

(without any hats)

Good point -- I don't think ISATAP has been discussed to be used
*within* an unmanaged network.

Inserting more careful phrasing, I believe there may be two aspects of the question to consider:

1) Near-term implications for connecting hosts and routers
   within an unmanaged network using [ISATAP].

2) Somewhat longer-term implications for connecting hosts
   within an unmanaged network to hosts/routers in the Internet
   using [ISATAP] over a virtual link extended via ND Proxy,
   multi-link subnet, hybrid bridge/router, etc. (i.e., with no
   "traditional" NAT traversal needed).

The phrasing in my original message appears to have focused
your reply on 1) only, which I think is fine for now since it seems
to be the proper scope for the current analysis in [unmaneval-03].

I personally think this is probably of very marginal applicability, as
the unmanaged networks are very small (typically only one subnet or
link), with about one router.  Further, the links almost always used
inside an unmanaged network are able to support IPv6.

So, it would seem that ISATAP might make sense here either if

1) the gateway supported IPv6 but the links wouldn't, or

2) the gateway wouldn't support IPv6, but the nodes in a multi-link
unmanaged network would want to use IPv6 between each other.

I am not an expert in the unamanged network transition space, but it seems
that we are beginning to see heterogeneous link technologies in home/SOHO
applications that are not easily bridged. ([unmaneval-03], sections 4.1.1 and 7)
provide good analysis and recommendations on extending a subnet to span
multiple links, but provide no guidance on mechanisms to connect nodes
accross such an extended subnet when link technologies with disparate MAC
address formats and/or link MTUs are included. Both of these conditions
could be mitigated by IPv6-in-IPv4 encapsulation using ISATAP, but this
is not currently stated in the document.

Both cases seem very marginal to me.

Well again, I am no expert, but from a recent trip to Fry's (our local electronics mega-store) it seems that general-purpose computers are now providing features like Digitial Video Recording that were once implemented only in set-top boxes, and home electronics like TV's, cameras, DVDs, etc. are now providing LAN-like interconnects (e.g., IEEE 1394) that were once used only by computers.

So, it seems like we may be on the near-term cusp of a fusion of
technologies and interconnects within the unmanaged realm that
may not be so marginal after all.

Hence, I personally don't think it is necessary to include ISATAP
here.  (Remember that so-called [multi-hop] ad-hoc networks, where
this would possibly be more strongly arguable for, were considered out
of scope for the v6ops scenarios work, AFAIR.)

I agree that there is no need to visit the multi-hop ad-hoc paradigm to identify potential near-term use cases.

And since we're already past WG last call(s), this is probably a moot
point in any case...

I'm not so sure; ([unmaneval-03], sections 4.1.1 and 7) give analysis and recommendations on how to _extend_ a subnet to span multiple links but no analysis and recommendations on mechanisms that nodes can use to _traverse_ such an extended subnet. I believe ISATAP fits this space for the near-term at least, with potential for wider applicability in the somewhat longer term as described above.

Also FYI, there appears to be a typo in: ([unmaneval-03], section 5),
first sentence of the 2nd paragraph. Here, it seems like "case B"
should be changed to: "case C".

Thanks - Fred
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com