Dominant IPv6 Network deployment for Transition by Users

Many of us here working in industry with users are seeing that enough
users and entities within the Enterprise and ISP scenarios see a very
good cost justification to move to native IPv6 dominant LAN/WAN networks
for deployment for multiple reasons.

1. Moving to dominant IPv6 networks reduces cost over long transition of
supporting both IPv4 and IPv6.

2. Many believe the only real way to deliver true Mobile IP "Roaming"
across an Internet network is with IPv6 and Mobile IPv6.

3. It is far easier to control the operation of transition to IPv6 once
IPv6 networks are dominant and IPv4 is treated as legacy.

It will take several years to achieve a strategy but the network pilots
and planning is underway today as I type this mail.

The hybrid-stack (dual stack is a misnomer in the context of this mail)
deployment model will work well with this type of deployment for legacy
requirements.

The technology questions to discuss to support the above are as follows:

1.  What are the differentials regarding technology requirements for a
gradual IPv4-IPv6 versus agressive IPv6 transition for deployment to use
a dominant IPv6 network deployment strategy?

2.  What are the Internet infrastructure requirements for that which we
have dominion over within the IETF regarding "protocols" and
"operational procedures" we specify to suppport a dominant IPv6 network
deployment strategy?

3.  What are the technical limitations from IETF protocol suite
perspective?

4.  What are the security limitations from IETF protocol suite
perspective?

What else needs to be on the above list?

Things we should not discuss here and not in our control within the
IETF:

1.  Vendor product delivery roadmaps of IPv6 infrastructure we specify
in the IETF and in other bodies, consortias, and forums.

2.  Application vendor product delivery roadmaps.

3.  Infrastructure software to support IPv6 like Network Management and
PKI products.

4.  User policies for deployment which will vary as much as the opinions
on this list.

5.  How IPv6 will be provided as a business by service providers either
public or private.

regards,
/jim