Re: ISATAP (Was RE: DSTM)

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:34:08AM -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
> > I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment for ISATAP (though I have not
> > found a use for it in my own deployment environment).
>
> For the record, we are using ISATAP as the default IPv6 connectivity on
> the Microsoft campus, enabling every computer in our network to get IPv6
> connectivity. It is particularly useful in those buildings where native
> IPv6 routers have not yet been deployed.

I think that is a very valid scenario, as is Karen's.

Our own site deployment has been achieved by using VLANs (I'll update my
draft on this) and we found that we can tag many different VLANs on routed
packets for a single interface on a BSD router.   We then split the real
interfaces (and routers) as and when v6 traffic grows.   This leaves us
with congruent IPv4/IPv6 subnets/links and IPv6 on the wire everywhere.

This is the common method used by universities in the 6NET project, and I
suspect elsewhere, until capable L2/L3 equipment emerges from Cisco/etc.

Tim