Fw: draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-01.txt

Dear Jeroen,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Please see in line my reply.

Regards
Miguel A. Diaz

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 11:34, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote (lines wrapped):
> > Hi,
> >
> > We just submitted this document (Analysis of IPv6 Tunnel End-point Discovery Mechanisms).
> >
> >  While officially published, a copy is available at
> >
> >  http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-01.txt.
> >
> > Please, provide your feedback on it.
>
> All the scenarios basically can be solved all with existing solutions
> (TSP for instance). The issue of discovery is not the problem of the
> communication between the client and the 'server' to negotiate the
> tunnel parameters but _how_ to discover which is the 'best' service.
> When a user knows his/her/its/... provider they already know what to
> configure or it is already configured. The issue which needs to be
> solved is the case where one doesn't have any configuration data or
> doesn't want to use the current configuration data and automatically
> discover the closest/best tunneling solution to get IPv6 connectivity.
>
> Basically I see three steps:
>  - Discovery of the 'best' tunneling service
>      <great gaping gap>
>  - Configuration
>      Currently only TSP (any other takers?)
>  - Tunneling
>      (proto-41, 6to4, teredo, ayiya, tinc, openvpn, ...)

I agree with your three steps view. Indeed, we also are working in other I-D regarding this steps. May be you could be interested on taking a look on it: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt

However the auto-discovery memo only focuses on the discovery issues, which means that by means of whatever mechanism, one or possibly a list of  tunnel-end-points (TEPs) is provided the user willing to get IPv6 connectivity. Which is the best TEP is out of the scope of such a memo. How the user chooses one TEP among all belonging to the provided list is also out of scope of such a memo. This topics are addressed on draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt