Re: draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-01.txt

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Florent Parent wrote:
[...]
> My suggestion is that the client should not consider the IP address
> discovered as being the tunnel endpoint, but instead let the tunnel setup
> protocol do that.

That is up to the tunnel mechanism to specify.  Some could treat it as
the tunnel endpoint (if there is no negotiation: e.g., ISATAP, or
something like STEP).  Some others -- probably most -- require a
tunnel setup protocol, and then it isn't as much tunnel endpoint as
much the tunnel negotiation endpoint.  Note that in some cases these
could also be one and the same: the negotiation could happen
"in-band", inside the tunnel as well. (E.g., you'd actually "configure
a tunnel" towards the end-point, start sending v6 packets to
negotiate.)  But this all would depend on which kind of mechanism this
is applied..

> Other suggestion: Call it the "service endpoint" ;-)

"Tunnel service endpoint"?  No objection to that.