Re: DSTM

On 28-jun-04, at 17:25, Todd T. Fries wrote:

It seems strange to me that VRRP is mentioned on a v6ops mailing list
when, as far as I have been lead to believe, VRRP does not support V6.

We were discussing providing IPv4 service over native IPv6 networks. In today's IPv4 networks routers acting as default gateway for a number of hosts are often "clustered" using HSRP or VRRP. This works very well, it would be a shame if this functionality wouldn't be available when running IPv4 over IPv6.

Note that in IPv6 the need for VRRP isn't as acute as in IPv4 as there isn't much reliance on statically configured default gateways.