Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-03.txt

Hi Pekka,

At 9:03 AM +0300 6/30/04, Pekka Savola wrote:
I don't think this addresses my personal comments.  The most important
of them, an applicability statement about a security defence network
(supported by Richard Graveman at least), hasn't been included.

I apologize, but I think I missed what you suggested for an applicability statement for the Security Defense network... Could you summarize?

I believe that this scenario is an interesting and important scenario to explore. How will people who are running highly secure/mobile networks today transition to IPv6?

I do not want us to head down a rat hole of defining how things could be done in IPv6 that cannot be done in IPv4 today, but if you have a secure, highly mobile IPv4 network today (and some enterprises do, particularly in the defense space), I do think it is interesting and important to talk about how to deploy IPv6 into that type of network without compromising security or mobility for IPv4, IPv6 or dual-stack nodes.

At least within the U.S. Department of Defense there has been some resistance to deploying IPv6 on "operational" networks, because of uncertainty about the security implications of doing so. It would be good for us to explore those implications, dispell any myths, and close any holes that do exist.

Margaret