Re: 9/9/2004 IP6.INT Removal (Was: 9/9/2006 : ip6.int shutdown?)

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:57, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:10:19AM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > [ Cross-post, to get everybody in sync,
> > Other messages in this thread can be found at:
> > http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail-archives/ipv6-wg/2004/msg00089.html ]

> > > I vote for 9/9/2004 and getting rid of it properly. Maintaining two
> > > reverse threes will create more problems than it will solve.
>
> What, specifically, is the hurry?

That this has been overdue for three years already and that even though
the deprecation was marked in August 2001 some vendors still not have
done the change. And as it is a s/ip6.int/ip6.arpa/g which is very easy,
if vendors did not do that yet they are way overdue and you got to
wonder how much their interest is in keeping software upto date.

Basically we (at least me) have been waiting for the 6bone to get the
delegation so that we could remove the 2 trees and only keep one:
ip6.arpa. This was decided by the IAB thus we should live up to it.

If we do not remove ip6.int then still implementations using it will
not show up. They have had 3 years already to update...

> > Take your pick:
> >
> > http://unfix.org/~jeroen/archive/drafts/draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-removal-00.html
> > http://unfix.org/~jeroen/archive/drafts/draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-removal-00.txt
> > http://unfix.org/~jeroen/archive/drafts/draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-removal-00.xml
> >
> > Short, quick and easy.
> > If no comments are risen for 16:00 today I'll submit this as an ID.
>
> Comments:
> 	e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa was documented in RFC3681 published in February
> 	2004 and actioned in July 2004.

Added, but note that this was all long overdue and there where a number
of other solutions that would have worked already 2 years ago if there
had not been any of the political arguments holding back this technical
issue. Note also that 6bone will end per 6/6/6 and that it is a TESTbed.
The TESTbed is delaying and thus hurting the production networks in this
case.

> 	I'm assuming the actioning of e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa is the trigger
> 	for this I-D; if so, why do you want to wait so little time (2
> 	months) between e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa becoming available and
> 	requiring people to have updated resolver libraries?

People should have updated their resolvers in the last *3 years*.
If you have not done that already then you are not maintaining your
machines properly and there is a big chance that you have bigger
problems than a IPv6 reverse DNS that doesn't work anymore because
ip6.int is gone.

> 	Personally I'd be more in favour of a 6 month timeout - i.e
> 	around last December or so.

Of course the date is up to discussion, but IMHO: ASAP and at least
before the end of the year, the sooner the better.

Note that Cisco's IOS updates will be done before that date and Windows
XP2 will come out in August (they say) thus everybody using IPv6 has
time enough to upgrade. All "free unix flavors" already support it

Also users agree: http://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=general-83948
Note the begin date of that thread, we where really waiting for 6bone
just as being nice to the people still using it.

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:57, Rob Blokzijl wrote:

> > If no comments are risen for 16:00 today I'll submit this as an ID.
>
>     two minor points. In the abstract and the introduction you write:
>
>       RFC 3152 delegates IP6.ARPA for reverse IPv6 delegations. For RIRs
>       (RIPE,ARIN,APNIC,LACNIC and soon AFNIC)
>
>     Replace RIPE --> RIPE NCC

That I did that wrong is a major oops, I should by know the difference by now.

>     Replace AFNIC --> AFRINIC
>
>       (AFNIC is the .fr registry :-) )

Also adjusted and added some xref's in the XML.

Old version is now draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-removal-00.a new version
carries the draft-massar-v6ops-ip6int-removal-00 name.

Greets,
 Jeroen