RE: [sig-ipv6] Re: 9/9/2004 IP6.INT Removal (Was: 9/9/2006 : ip6.int shutdown?)

Well stated Mr. Manning.  Same for any updates from IETF for IPv6 (e.g.
2461, 2462, SEND, Optimistic DAD) as every vendor I know (e.g. routers,
switches, servers, clients, embedded systems) is shipping production
IPv6 within their OS release.  Any changes now to IPv6 will undergo
rigorous Q&A, whether it has a business case for deployment to update
the OS IPv6 features vs. other work for network centricity within the
stack, and general time to test interoperability.  Because the freeware
BSD and Linux bases do it does not mean that the vendors will do it.
Assume the time to change as it is for IPv4 now when we update or add
features.  The IETF can only provide specifications and suggestions
(INFO and BCP) to the market they cannot mandate anything to the market
and we have not for IPv4 either, it will not be different than IPv6.

This is also dilemma we face for transition mechanisms.  Back when we
decided to follow the path that we do scenarios and then analysis and
killed the forward progress and work on Teredo, ISATAP, DSTM, and Tunnel
Broker some vendors and systems software entities did not stop building
them and they are now beginning to be deployed in test beds and some
early adopters.  This will find market interest and into vendor products
(note all of the ones listed above) and then when we do finish the specs
we will face the same problem with the transition mechanisms.

We do need to move to ipv6.arpa in the industry but it will happen
gradually and same as a note even for the updates to Base Transition
Mechanisms ergo RFC 2893 and I have already run into being asked about
IPv4 Compatible Addresses during deployment and those are dead now.
Same for the addressing architecture regarding TLAs and Site-Locals.

Lesson here is again assume a time to absorb for IPv6 products now just
like we do for IPv4.

The IPv6 Forum and NAv6TF can help here where the IETF cannot, and I
will take this to the members and industry, but it will take time.  It
is a deployment issue not a standards issue at this point.

The exception has been Mobile IPv6 and most vendors are all at RFC level
and that is because lots of customers want to begin early adoption with
MIPv6 and that keeps the vendors quite proactive on that one.

P.S. Bill - the new initial IPv6 AAA at root for JP and KR are they to
use ipv6.arpa?  Thanks.

/jim