Proposed way forward with the transition mechanisms

Dear v6ops WG,

our very own AD, David, sent the WG list mail on the July 1st about the
way forward and how he sees the way forward for our little WG. Pekka and
I have discussed the topic and found enough consensus among ourselves to
propose a way forward for the WG. Of course, you the WG, have to say if
you agree with the following approach. We believe that the discussion
should be started now on the WG list and then continue it in the
face-to-face meeting in San Diego to work the details further. The final
decision for the way forward is of course for the WG to make in the
mailing list - as always in the IETF.

The proposal is to derive the different transition mechanisms from the
Scenarios/Analysis documents and identify either the matching, existing
mechanism, or identify gap and list possible solutions. We have done our
own preliminary analysis. The proposal bellow is for discussion and
should not be considered the final list. We would like to have
discussion if it really does identify all needed mechanisms and just the
needed mechanisms.

Bellow there is a list of mechanisms. This the list that Pekka and I put
together in quite short time. It may or may not be correct and that's
something that we have to discuss on the list and in the face-to-face in
the meeting. So, this is just the baseline to start the discussion.

In the interest of time, we propose to do this on the list and after
running the process document it into a draft. I can do the draft editing
myself.

In the following, is the analysis of the different scenarios/analysis
documents (in no particular order).

3gpp-analysis:
 SIP v4/v6 transition mechanism
 Zero-configured IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling mechanism

unmanaged:
  Teredo*
  Configured tunneling through NAT
  IPv4 over IPv6 tunneling mechanism

ISP:
  BGP-tunneling*
  Tunnel server/broker

Enterprise:
  Analysis not done.

  SIP v4/v6 transition mechanism - No candidates
  Tunnel Server/Broker - TSP, Silkroad, Ayiya, STEP possible candidates
  Configured tunneling through NATs - No (direct) candidates, but Tunnel
        Server/Broker also addresses this
  Zero-configured IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling mechanism - TSP, Ayiya, STEP,
        ISATAP possible candidates.
  IPv4 over IPv6 Tunneling - DSTM, TSP, Ayiya possible candidates; many
        tunnel server/broker approaches also address this.

(* Teredo and BGP-tunneling are already moving forward)

The suggestion is to go forward with Teredo/BGP-Tunneling immediately,
work on SIP v4/v6 transition in SIP WG(s), and find the correct place
for finding suitable solution for the following:

  a) zero-configuration both at the client or the server,
  b) IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnels (with NAT traversal support), and
  c) IPv4-over-IPv6 tunnels

This work should take use of
draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-00.txt.

Cheers,

Jonne & Pekka - the chairs.
--
Jonne Soininen