Re: draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-01 comments

-- On Sunday, August 01, 2004 17:44:01 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:

substantial
-----------

In section 3.3, this doc goes on to state that building v6 tunnels over
UDP is not always possible as some middle boxes don't forward those
packets.

I'd argue that this is a scenario we want to declare out of scope.  If
such a box really exists, it's more likely than not that the user is not
supposed to punch holes in the NAT/firewall.  We can simplify this a lot
if we can remove whole section 3.3 and its subsections on HTTP, TCP or
other tunnels.

I agree.

IPv6 over UDP (or TCP if one cares) is used to get IPv6 across NATs in the case where this is allowed/wanted/not prohibited. We don't want to require a protocol to do firewall traversal.

BTW, the most of the tunnel mechanisms described in this section will have the same problem as, say, IPv6 over UDP if the middlebox has strict filtering policy.

Florent