RE: ISATAP scenario

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED) wrote:
> Nothing prevents this generic solution to provide what is
> mandating Teredo right now. Taken literally I
> would thus assume that this in your opinion
> means that there is no reason to standardize Teredo either :-?
>
> I agree (though) that it is very difficult indeed to draw the line here.

Teredo addresses an entirely different problem space, that is, when
your own ISP does not want to provide any IPv6 support.  That calls
for a different kind of approach than when you have would expect the
ISP, enterprise, 3GPP, or whoever to want to support v6 somehow (but
for some reason, cannot do that natively).

I wasn't looking for a solution all the problems in the world
including world hunger, just a slightly more generic solution for the
case when the ISP (or equivalent) is willing to provide v6 ;-).  The
solutions the WG or earlier ones has specified or gained consensus so
far (e.g., 6to4, Teredo) are aimed at the case when the ISP doesn't
even know what v6 is :-).